Monday, January 27, 2014

Old family farms

Several months ago, our family sold the family farm. There I said it. It's a hard fact to own up to and really I don't know why. My great grandmother whom I am still to this day in love with, lived here with my great grandfather that I never knew. He passed before I got to this earth. Any way this farm belonged to my great grandfathers family. WAY back into the early 1800's it was a land grant of sorts. The story I know is that there were four sharen brothers. They all built basically the same house. On different farms. They were well built in the Greek revival style. Today 3 of the four remain. But this us to change very soon. Sadly this one is coming down soon. The farmer who bought it will be rearing it down. He was kind enough to give us some notice. So for the last few days we ( myself and Will ) went out and got as much architectural salvage as we could. All 4 fireplace mantles, 6 over 6 windows, interior solid wood doors, built in cabinet doors. And a pair of 10 foot solid wood doors. A few bricks we found a few old photos ect .. Then it was time to leave. It was cold and hard work. ( no electric ) I stood in the back room looking out over the fields just imagining my ancestors doing the same. What did they see? There are some very old pines out the front view. To the road which is a state road. Across the road there is a truck stop. The main reason non of our family wanted to live here. The barns and out buildings are all gone. The little  widows watch at the center top of the roof has long had the windows boarded up and stuccoed over. I remember my great grandmother telling me that they my great grandfather s family once watched for the Indians from here. Yes it was before the civil war. I am very lucky to have my family treasures still to this day jewelry and photos ect . Yes I am the family historian. But now I have what remains of someone else's long ago dreams. I love my mantle in this old farm. I am sure they loved theirs as well. 

What am I to do with these pile of wood and glass? I am not sure but I do have a barn to store them in. Maybe my girl or niece or nefew will build a house or perhaps grand children? And they might just might be interested in history? Or perhaps I'll have boxes, coffee table ect. Made from the old door s who knows but one thing I know for sure. They are not buried a long with the rest of the house.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful family history you have to share with us! I can see why you are in love with this farm

    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I got a little teary reading this. What a beautiful connection you have to your family. And I just love the idea of "the farm" living on in the family. I'm so happy you hung on to those architectural pieces. Now the farm will live on in many other homes.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you please leave a comment if you like.