Monday, May 13, 2013

Spring!

Well spring is here! I know this for sure because my old friends have shown up to greet me! Several years ago the farm next to mine went up for sale. It's very old place like mine. The farm houses mirror each other. Over the years many changes have been made to both houses. However the three up three down seems to have been the original norm. When I found out the farm was to sell I did the unthinkable it had beautiful gardens with very old fashioned plants. A fern garden, wild flowers like may apple, and the first jack in the pulpit I had-ever seen. Lots of lilacs of every kind. Too many trees to count. An old orchard, strawberry and asparagus beds and probably many others I've forgotten. I loved to go there. The woman of the farm was sure a gardener!

But one day shortly before it sold I went over and dug up the jack in the pulpit.
I was not sure at all if it would flourish . I put him very close to my front porch. Where I could keep an eye on him. An yes he comes out every year since to thank me for saving him! Because all that I mentioned above are gone. A new pole barn now sits where the orchard was. The fern garden cleared for loads of heavy fake mulch with a few plants from the nursery. The strawberry and asparagus beds plowed under for a few more feet of soybeans! A young couple who farm live there now. I felt bad at the time I stole that little jack in the pulpit. I thought if someone moved in that loved the plants I would tell them. Now looking back I wish I had taken more. Ohh those ferns were so pretty!

But I do have some old fashioned plants here, bleeding hearts, columbine, Lilly of the valley, and yes jack in the pulpit!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you please leave a comment if you like.